Monday, March 23, 2015

21 Day Fix Breakfast Ideas

We know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but for a lot of us it can be hard to make the time to actually eat breakfast. If we do eat breakfast, it can be hard to know what to eat!  I've put together a list of my favorite breakfasts, all of them 21 Day Fix approved.  Even if you don't follow the 21 Day Fix, they are still yummy and easy to make.  Some of them you can make in advance, and some of them you make the morning of.  All are clean, and all get your morning off on the right foot!


A Carb, a Protein and a Fruit.  This is probably as basic as breakfast gets.  Some days I eat this as a bacon and egg sandwich with a banana. Some days I eat them separately over the course of the morning as cereal, greek yogurt and an apple.  If you aren't sure where to start for breakfast, try combining 1 carb, 1 serving of protein and 1 cup fruit.  For example, on the 21 Day Fix, 1 egg + 2 pieces of bacon counts as 1 red container, 1 piece of toast is a yellow, and a cup of fruit is a purple.  I find that combining a yellow, red and purple container for breakfast gives me the right amount of calories, fiber and the best nutritional balance to start my day.    


Peanut Butter Toast and Coffee

This is the breakfast I eat 90% of the time.  After a few rounds of the 21 Day Fix, I finally figured out how my metabolism works and what will keep me full until lunch.  First thing in the morning, I have coffee made with coconut milk and Truvia and 1 slice of gluten free bread with 1 tsp nut butter.  Then, about an hour later, once I am ready to face the day, I have a smoothie made with Shakeology and 1 purple container of fruit.  I really like to chew first thing in the morning, so the toast combined with the Shakeology fills my need for chewing, while still giving me a balance of Carbs, Protein and Fruit.  




Baked Oatmeal

I love baked oatmeal because you can make it in advance.  It is good warm or cold, so if you can't even microwave something in the morning, it is still delicious.  For a complete meal, I like to have a smoothie with it, and this one is perfect because it had peanut butter in it.  Everything it better with peanut butter! 




Waffle, Sausage, and Fruit

This is one of my go to breakfasts.  I always have the ingredients in my freezer.  I use frozen fruit that I defrost for a few seconds in the microwave.  It is a great substitute for syrup.  I also top the waffle with 1 tsp peanut butter.  Sometimes I make homemade turkey sausage, sometimes I just buy nitrate free turkey sausage at whole foods.  I prefer the Nature's Path Mixed Berry Buckwheat Frozen Waffles, partly because the are gluten free and mostly because they are delicious.  1 waffle, 2 sausage patties and 1 cup of fruit equals 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 purple container. 




Protein Oat Cakes

This recipe is fantastic when you want pancakes, but don't want to derail your diet.  Usually I save these for the weekend, but they can also be made in bulk and kept in the freezer for a few days.  My husband puts pure maple syrup on his, but I, of course, put peanut butter on mine.  




Half Bagel and Smoothie

My mom has half a bagel with peanut butter for breakfast almost every day.  It's kind of her version of peanut butter toast.  She hates eggs, and we found some Gluten Free Mighty Bagels (aka gluten free bagels full of seeds and fiber) that she likes, so I feel like this is a clean compromise.  However, she is always hungry about an hour later (probably because she is missing the protien).  Recently, since we've been living under the same roof, she has been drinking a Strawberry Banana Smoothie when she gets hungry and that has been keeping her full until lunch.  



I hope you try some of these ideas.  If you do, I'd love to know what you thought or what your favorite breakfast is.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment