Monday, March 9, 2015

Taco Stuffed Peppers

Cauliflower and I have been spending a lot of time together lately.  My family isn't as excited about all the experiments as I am, but I am holding out hope they will get on board.  I admit, some have been better than others, and maybe cauliflower breakfast casserole wasn't the best idea (I'm not giving up on that one just yet though).  I was a big fan of these Taco Stuffed Peppers.  They were super low in calories, but had serious taco flavor.  



I wish all food tasted like a taco. It would be so much easier to eat healthy, if everything was taco flavored but had the nutrition of a carrot.  Since I am one of those people who can gain five pounds but just looking at a cupcake, I have to constantly watch what I am eating.  I don't like to thinking of it as a diet, more of a "working with what I've got" way of eating.  Therefor, anytime I can squeeze some nutrition into a comfort food, I do.

This recipe can be a little labor intensive because there is a good amount of prep work, but a lot of it can be done in advance.  I riced a whole head of cauliflower and browned a double batch of turkey.  Then I just split it between two different recipes.  If you've got some down time earlier in the day, you could prep your filling, and then assemble the peppers before dinner.  Once the peppers are assembled, it takes about 20 minutes in the oven.  



Ingredients:
12 ounces ground Turkey (2 red)
3/4 cup plain greek yogurt (1 red)
1/2 head of cauliflower (2 green)
5 bell peppers (5 green)
1 onion (1 green)
1/3 cup of shredded cheese (1 blue)
1 TBSP olive oil (3 tsp)
2 TBSP taco seasoning (homemade or store bought)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions:
Brown the ground turkey in a skillet with 1 TBSP olive oil.  Meanwhile chop the cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles rice.  Steam the cauliflower until tender.  
Cut each bell pepper in half, and place upside down on a cookie sheet.  Broil for a few minutes until the skin begins to blister.  Remove the pan from the oven, and allow the peppers to slightly cool while you assemble the filling.  


To assemble the filling, combine ground turkey with the riced cauliflower and onion.  Season with 2 TBSP taco seasoning and a 1/4 cup of water.  Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.  Divide the filling between the pepper halves.  Top with a sprinkling of cheese and return to a 350 degree oven.  Bake approximately 20 minutes until the cheese melts and the peppers begin to soften slightly.  
To serve, top each pepper with a dollop of greek yogurt. Serves 3.  



21 Day Fix Conversion: 1 red, 2 2/3 green (add some shredded lettuce and pico de gallo, and you'd have 3 greens!), 1/3 blue, 1 tsp


No comments:

Post a Comment