Friday, March 6, 2015

Baked Oatmeal

I should eat more oatmeal than I do.  I really like oatmeal, I'm just lazy in the mornings.  I usually just have a piece of toast with nut butter for breakfast with my morning coffee.  These baked oatmeal muffins are great because you can just heat them up before you head out the door in the morning.  The original recipe is here.  I have modified it to suit my tastes and worked out the 21 Day Fix Conversions below.  They also freeze great, so I make a lot at once, and then just defrost a few over night in the fridge. Or, if you have house guests, these would be fantastic as part of a continental breakfast or brunch!


Ingredients:
4 eggs (2 red)
4 cups unsweetened applesauce (4 purple)
2 medium bananas (1 purple)
10 cups*, Old Fashioned rolled oats- I prefer Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats
4 1/2 cups** Unsweetened Almond or Coconut milk
4 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal (optional, 2 orange)
1/2 cup raw honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 TBSP baking powder
2 teaspoons salt (do not skip the salt.  trust me.)
Directions:
Mash the bananas with the eggs, vanilla, applesauce, and honey together in a bowl. Once mashed, add the milk.  Stir in the oats, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt into the wet ingredients. Divide the oatmeal mixture among 36 muffin cups (I prefer to use silicone).  You may have to bake the muffins in batches.  Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and store in an airtight container in the freezer.  Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
*For the purpose of the 21 Day Fix, Oatmeal is measured in a Yellow Container.  However, you should be measuring cooked oatmeal, not raw oatmeal.  Because this recipe uses raw oatmeal, we have to do a little math to find the 21 Day Fix conversion.  So, hear goes:  Oatmeal increases in volume when cooked, so 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal is roughly equal to 1/3 cup raw oatmeal.  So, one yellow container of cooked oatmeal would be 1/3 a cup raw oatmeal.  So, since we need 10 cups raw oatmeal to make a double batch of baked oatmeal, that will equal 30 yellow containers.  Wow.  That is a lot of yellow.  Good thing this serves 36 people. 
**On the 21 Day Fix, 8 ounces of milk counts as 1 yellow container.  Therefor, 4.5 cups of milk count as 4.5 yellow containers.  However, you should use a standard liquid measuring cup to measure the milk instead of the yellow container. 


21 Day Fix Conversion: 1/8 purple, approx. 1 yellow, 1/18 red, 1/18 orange (For the purpose of the meal plan, I wouldn't personally count this in my daily totals, but since there is a trivial amount of protein and seeds, I am giving you the totals).  To make a complete meal, I would drink a Chunky Monkey Shake with it, or at least plan on having a Shakeology snack mid morning.  




No comments:

Post a Comment