Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Best Holiday Ham

My dad loved ham.  He grew up in Virginia eating country ham.  My grandfather would soak it for an eternity, and then slice it really thin.  I remember eating country ham served on my grandmother's rolls or biscuits.  Nothing says home cooked comfort food to me like a ham biscuit.  

Nowadays, I am not about to soak a country ham and do all the work that it take to get one edible, but I still like to eat ham on the holidays.  In my house, we have ham twice a year: at Christmas and Easter. I buy a nitrate free (also called "uncured") ham if I can find it, and make my own glaze. It's super easy, and so much better than the glaze packets or the store bought sugar coated hams. 


I usually serve Green Bean Casserole and Orange Scented Sweet Potatoes along side the ham.  When we have cut off most of the meat from the bone, I freeze the bone until I get a craving for Bean Soup.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of orange marmalade or preserves 
2 heaping TBSPs brown mustard. 
Cloves
Fully Cooked, Bone in Ham

Directions:
Stud the ham with cloves and cover with foil. Heat the ham according to the package directions (usually about 2-3 hours in a 350 degree oven).  Combine the orange marmalade with the brown mustard.  Then remove the foil, brush on the glaze and heat uncovered for another 15-30 minutes until caramelized.  Serve with your favorite rolls or biscuits! 

No comments:

Post a Comment