Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Protein Oat Cakes

Whenever I feel like a need a jolt of balance in my mornings, I make these oat cakes for breakfast.  My husband likes them because they are sort of like pancakes, I like that they are full of fiber and something else I can put chocolate better 'n peanut butter on.  Even better, a serving is 2 oatcakes, which seems like a ton of food when you are used to limiting your carbs.  They also reheat really well, so make a bunch and eat them through out the week!


A few things about the ingredients: 
1.  This recipe calls for egg whites.  You could substitute whole eggs, but I really like using eggs whites in this recipe.  1/3 cup of egg whites is equal to about 2 whole eggs (also known as 1 red 21 Day Fix container), but so technically that would be 6 eggs for this recipe.  I haven't tested that though, so let me know how it goes if you try it.  
2.  Make sure you used rolled oats.  Not instant, not steel cut.  If you aren't gluten free, you can just buy the big can of old fashioned oats.  I am gluten free, so I buy gluten free rolled oats. You do not have to grid the oats as the instructions suggest, but the oat cakes can be a little "rough" on the digestive system, so I highly recommend grinding at least half of them.  Don't let that scare you, just know that I am speaking from personal experience.  I use a coffee grinder for my oats, but any sort of food processor should work.  If you don't grind them, do yourself a favor and avoid any long hikes or road trips without bathroom access.  You've been warned...

You Will Need:
2 cups rolled oats (not instant, not steel cut)
1 cup egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 TBSP pumpkin pie seasoning- optional
1 dash of vanilla- optional
4 TBSP ground flax meal
2 TBSP raw local honey- optional
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Directions:
In a coffee grinder or blender, grind 1 cup of the oats, salt and baking powder together until you get something resembling oat flour.  Mix together with the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Spray with cooking spray and spoon two heaping TBSP into the pan for each oat cake.  Cook a few minutes per side until golden brown.  Serve with your favorite pancake toppings.  Makes 8 oatcakes, serves 4.

Chocolate Better 'n Peanut Butter goes on everything!

21 Day Fix Conversion:
1 yellow, 3/4 red, 1/4 orange, 1/8 purple




No comments:

Post a Comment