Monday, May 23, 2011

Scarborough Fair Chicken

I know it has been a while since I posted, so I thought I would get back in the swing of things with one of Jeff's favorite dishes...Scarborough Fair Chicken.  Every time we go to the ren fest, we have to get chicken on a stick.  I happen to thing I have done a pretty good job of recreating it.

You will need:
Half a regular size chicken breast per person.  Jeff bought mutant chicken at the store, so I think I can actually make 4 servings from this one breast.
Onion powder
Garlic Salt
Paprika
Cumin (I sometimes leave this out due to a friends food allergy, but if this isn't a problem for you, it really adds to the flavor)
Chili powder
Crushed Red pepper
Salt and Pepper


If I was grilling the chicken (like I usually do, but the weather wasn't corroporating today) I would just cut the breast into serving sizes (2-4 pieces depending on size).  Since I decided to make it into fajitas, I cut it into bite size pieces.  Season one size LIBERALLY before putting season side down in a skillet.  If you are grilling, season both sides.  It is important to over season the chicken.  I have never added too much season, so just keep seasoning until you think you have put too much on...then add a little more.  If you don't like spicy food, go easy on the red pepper and just add more paprika and chili powder.  


While the chicken cooks, saute an onion and peppers.  Or skip this step if you just want the chicken.  :)


If you are going the fajita route with this chicken, I recommend serving on top a leaf of ice berg lettuce with the peppers and onions, cheese, salsa and some greek yogurt.  You could always use tortillas instead of the lettuce...but we are doing the low carb thing.



That's what's for dinner!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have been asked about measurements for the spices. It really depends on how big your chicken breast is. The chicken should be completely covered with spices, so if you require measurements, I would mix a 1/4 tsp of each of the spices together and then sprinkle all of it over the chicken. If it doesn't look excessive, you don't have enough.

    ReplyDelete