Sunday, May 8, 2011

Cinnamon Raisin French Toast- Special Mother's Day Edition

In honor of Mother's Day we are doing a special breakfast edition of "That's what's for dinner".  The other day I found some fantastic new gluten free cinnamon raisin bread (Mom, we have got to get you some) and I have been dying to make french toast with it.  Since I still have heavy cream left over (didn't quite use it all in the chicken pasta earlier in the week),  and I told Jeff I would make breakfast if he would make a coffee run to Java Me Up, today seemed like the perfect day for french toast.

You will need:
2 slices (per person)of your favorite cinnamon rasin bread- I used Rudi's
1/4 cup heavy cream (milk will work too, it just wont feel as decadent :)
1/4 cup egg beaters (or 1 egg per person)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp butter
cooking spray

As usual, my measurements are approximate.  Also, the quantities listed are for one serving.  Make more if you are sharing or cooking for your favorite Mom.


Mix together the eggs, cream and cinnamon in a shallow dish.  Soak the bread for approximately 20 minutes, flipping it occasionally if the bread isn't completely submerged.

  Meanwhile, I made bacon.  I set the toaster oven to 450 degrees (400 if you have a convection setting), and put the bacon on a rack over a drip pan. 20 minutes later you have perfectly cooked, FLAT bacon and most of the grease has been drained for you.


Once your bacon is almost done, it is time to make your french toast.  Personally, I like a butter/cooking spray combo for the pan.  The butter gives good flavor, but the cooking spray lets  you use a lot less and still get the same not stick properties.  It also helps keep the butter from turning too brown.  My pan only holds two pieces of bread at a time and I am too lazy to wash the griddle later...


Flip the bread over after a few minutes.  If the bread is stuck to the pan (and you remembered to spray it) it isn't done yet.  Over medium heat, the bread should release when it is ready to flip.  Chill out, you can eat soon.


Your patience will be rewarded when you let it snow (dust with powdered sugar) and serve with bacon.

That's What's for Breakfast!


Happy Mother's Day Momma!

No comments:

Post a Comment