Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Super Awesome Paleo Breakfast Sandwich

Mornings are saved!  I finally have a breakfast I look forward too.  I had found a grain free (but not Paleo) bagel that I loved with some cashew butter (my nut butter of choice), but I really wanted to find a truly Paleo option.  It needed to be something that could be assembled the night before and quickly reheated.  This sandwich fills those requirements and it is delicious as well!


A few days ago, I posted a recipe for Paleo Breakfast Bread.  This is what I used to make the buns for this breakfast sandwich.  They don't have the nooks and crannies of your typical english muffins, but they hold up well to the egg and breakfast meat, without the over whelming coconut/almond taste of most Paleo breads. Even better, I found a whoopie pie pan on clearance so now I can make these breads in bulk! 

To make this sandwich, you'll need a few ingredients and some specialty cookware.  1 egg, the paleo breakfast meat of your choice (I chose sausage), Paleo Breakfast Bread, an egg mold and a skillet.  If you don't have an egg mold, you can use the ring from a mason jar lid or just cook your egg free form as you usually would.  I wanted everything to fit in a neat little stack, so I used the mold.


Place your sausage patty in the skillet over medium heat along with the egg mold.  Brown the sausage on one side, while the egg mold heats up with the skillet.  When you flip your sausage, crack the egg into the mold and stir slightly.  Season with salt and pepper if desired.  I highly recommend lubricating your egg mold with the oil of your choice, otherwise the egg will stick.  Continue to gently stir the egg inside the mold until it is mostly set.  Using a small knife, release the mold, and flip the egg.  


While your egg is setting, I recommend lightly toasting the breakfast bread.  If you are preparing your sandwich the night before, you can skip this step as the bread will warm when you reheat it in the morning.  Assemble the sandwich, placing the sausage on the first piece of bread, followed by the egg.  Enjoy immediately! 

To reheat the pre assembled sandwich, wrap in aluminum foil and place in a 350 degree toaster oven for 15-10 minutes.  You can also microwave the sandwich for 1 minute on high, but I prefer the crispy texture from the toaster oven and I think you are less likely to over cook the egg.  If you do plan on the microwave method, I recommend slightly undercooking your egg.  

I hope you enjoy this recipe!  If you'd like so see more, make sure you follow the blog or visit my Facebook Page to get the latest updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment