Sunday, February 14, 2016

Paleo Breakfast Bread

Ever since going Paleo, breakfast has been a struggle.  I am not a morning person, and I like to sleep as late as possible.  This does not leave a lot of time for breakfast making.  I certainly do not get up early enough to make bacon and eggs, and any attempt at "egg muffins" have not been successful.  Did I mention I am really picky when it comes to eggs?  I pretty much only eat them scrambled or in omelet form so hard boiled eggs are out as well.   


Pre paleo days, I would make homemade breakfast sandwiches with english muffins or toast and reheat them while I was getting ready.  Of course, most paleo bread is not great, and english muffins are non existent in Paleo Land.  I've tried numerous variations on paleo pancakes/tortillas/scones/muffins, and this one has been the most successful.  And by successful, I mean it didn't require a lot of weird ingredients and I didn't have to roll out tortillas by hand like a Mexican Grandma (mega props to those grandma's though!)

Ingredients:
1 cup egg whites
2.5 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 cup cassava flour
1/4 tsp real salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp ghee or olive oil
4 tbsp water (add additional water for tortillas)


Directions:
Combine the ingredients in a large measuring cup, and allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes.  The batter will thicken as the coconut flour absorbs the moisture.  It should be the consistency of pancake batter.  Depending on the brand of Cassava Flour you buy, it may need more or less water.  For the purpose of this recipe, I used Blue Rabbit brand.  Transfer the batter into a squirt bottle for easy pouring. Squeeze into egg molds and cook until just set.  Use a small knife to release the mold, and the flip the bread.



You'll know it is time to flip when small bubble form and pop (just like pancakes). The bread should be a pale golden color.  Since I sometimes reheat in a toaster or skillet, I don't over cook mine.  If you were eating these right away, I would let them get a little darker before removing.  



This recipe should make approximately 12 rounds.  I used a standard egg mold to make mine (the same size I'll be using to pre cook some eggs for my breakfast sandwich.  I use 2 rounds per sandwich, but use whatever you have on hand.


These could be used toasted with butter and jelly...


 Or made into a breakfast sandwich with some home made sausage and and egg...


Or if you add some extra water (2-4 tbsp) to the batter, you can make tortillas.  I used about 2 tbsp of batter per tortilla.  Cook in a skillet over medium heat and flip once.  These will keep in the refrigerator about a week, and the hold up better than corn tortillas! Serving size is 1 tortilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment