Sunday, December 16, 2012

Orange Scented Sweet Potatoes

I love so many different holiday foods, but I think this is one of my favorites.  Orange Scented Sweet potatoes.  The candied part is a little misleading...mostly because over the years I have cut out a lot of the "candy", however I still follow the same basic steps I learned from my mom.  You can really use any sweet potato recipe- baked, mashed, candied- the key to this dish is the orange cups.  They add such a nice hint of orange flavor.  Plus, when you fill them with the sweet potatoes, they almost look like little oranges!


These sweet potatoes always appear at Thanksgiving and Christmas with my Ham and Green Bean Casserole.  Sometimes, if I am feeling confident during the week, I will make my lazy version*.

You Will Need:
Sweet potatoes- 1/2 a potato per person + leftovers
Navel Oranges- 1/2 per person + leftovers (you are aiming for 1 serving of potatoes per orange half)
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP - 1/4 cup honey (optional)
1/4 cup of water
Cinnamon
Cloves
Nutmeg
Electric Skillet (what my mom always used, so its what I use.)
Baking dish
Chopped Pecans *optional
Mini Marshmallows *optional

Directions:
Bake, boil or microwave your sweet potatoes until they are soft.  I baked mine at 425 degrees for 1 hour.  Let the potatoes cool, and then peel and dice into uniform cubes.  Melt the butter in your electric skillet over the warm setting.  Place the potatoes in the electric skillet and drizzle the honey (start with a little, you can add more later) over the top.  Sprinkle with Cinnamon, Cloves and Nutmeg.  I never measure these spices, I just follow my mother's rule of "sprinkle it until you smell it".  Gently toss the potatoes so the honey and spices are evenly distributed.  If the pan looks dry, add a small splash of water and turn the dial on the electric skillet to 250 degrees. Cook for ten minutes, then taste the potatoes.  You may want to add more honey or a pinch of salt.  I usually find a pinch of salt will make everything seem sweeter without a lot more honey or sugar.  Check again to see if you need to add water.  You should have a small amount of liquid in the bottom of the pan.  Increase the heat to 300 degrees.  We want the potatoes to caramelize and get a slight crust.  While your potatoes are crusting, slice each orange in half (one side will have the stem, the other will have the navel), scoop out the flesh and place the halves in a baking dish.  Check the potatoes to see if they have developed a crust.  If they have, turn the skillet off and distribute the potatoes in the orange cups.

If you are making the sweet potatoes in advance, like I do, cover the pan with aluminum foil and freeze until Holiday Eve.  If not, top with marshmallows and chopped pecans and place under the broiler for a few minutes until brown and bubbly.

Yes, we scooped out perfectly good oranges and used the skins for decoration- but now you have a reason to eat the fruit you keep saying you should eat.  You could also freeze the orange sections to use in smoothies!  Or just make some Sangria...

*Occasionally, I will get lazy and make these sweet potatoes without the orange cups.  They are almost as good, but they are much easier.  Swap the water for orange juice and add a sprinkling of orange zest.  You will also need to watch the pan to make sure it doesn't burn.  Keep a little water near by to add to the pan if things look like they are getting to sticky.  Depending on your desired sweetness, you may want to add the honey at the end after tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment