Monday, January 14, 2013

Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls

OMG.  I got a gluten free baked good to rise.  Not being a chemistry (or baking expert), I am not really sure how it happened...but it happened.  I found this recipe on Pinterest and thought, "Well...maybe." I didn't hold much hope though since I have yet to make any bread product to rise.  Since this past weekend was my mother's birthday, and she loves cinnamon rolls, it seemed like a perfect chance to try it out.  I was pretty sure they wouldn't be gross...so what did we have to lose?

I've died and gone to cinnamon roll heaven


The original recipe started with a cake mix and then had you add some other ingredients.  Since part of the issue with gluten free bread is the flour to yeast ratio and the water to flour ratio, I was pretty sure I was gonna have to make some changes.  I decided to take the easy way out and mix together a gluten free cake mix and a gluten free bread mix and just cross my fingers.  It worked!!!  I think they taste just like real cinnamon rolls, and even my dad and husband (non gluten free-ers) seemed to like them.  If you aren't gluten free, I would just click on the link above and follow her recipe.  Although maybe you could mix together a regular cake mix and bread mix?

You will need:
1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake mix*
1 bag Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Bread Mix*
2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
Cinnamon
1-2 cups brown sugar
1 block cream cheese
1-2 cups powdered sugar
3 tsp vanilla
1 stick softened butter
milk
extra gluten free flour for rolling out the dough

*I used these brands, so I can't say for sure if other brands would work.

Directions:
Pull the yeast packet out of the bread mix and mix with 2 cups of warm water.  When I say warm, I mean warmer than room temperature, but not hot.  Let it sit for a few minutes.  It will look cloudy, possibly chunky, and you might see the occasional bubble. While you are waiting for the yeast to wake up, in a large bowl, mix the cake mix, bread mix and salt.  Add the yeast water and 2 tsp vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.  The dough will be sticky, but it should pull away from the bowl.  Cover with a tea towel and set in a warm place to rise...for at least 2 hours, although 4 would be even better.  Gluten free bread doesn't contain gluten (wait, what?  Just kidding, you probably knew that) and gluten is the framework for trapping the gas particles that makes bread nice and fluffy.  However, if you use enough yeast and give it long enough it will rise...but seriously, it takes forever.

So after waiting as long as possible (I made the dough before breakfast and rolled it out before dinner), dump the dough out on a lightly floured surface.  My mom has a GIANT cutting board, so I used that, but a counter top works as well.  Since there is no gluten, you don't have to kneed the bread, but we do need to roll it out.  Flour everything (your hands, the rolling pin, the counter) and roll out a large rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick (although, mine was a little thicker since my cutting board wasn't quite big enough).  You don't want it to stick, so if your dough is still super sticky you might need to work in some extra flour.  Next time I think I might roll it out on parchment paper- I think it might make it easier to roll.

Monster cinnamon rolls.  They keep rising!

Spread the butter on top of your rolled out dough.  Sprinkle well with cinnamon and then top with brown sugar.  I lightly pressed the cinnamon sugar mixture onto the dough- but I am not sure if that did anything.  Starting with a wide side, gently roll the dough into a log shape, flouring your hands as needed.  Try to roll as tight as possible...but mine was pretty loose and it still worked out fine.  Cut your log in half and then each half in half, etc.  Place the slices in a buttered baking dish, leaving plenty of room around each roll to allow for more rising.  I actually left mine on the counter until they had risen a second time and filled the pan.  Refrigerate over night or bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Remember, gluten free bread doesn't brown well, so feel them at 20 minutes to check for doneness.

To make the frosting, mix a softened block of cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla and the powdered sugar.  I don't like sweet frosting, so 1 cup was plenty for me.  Add milk to reach your desired constancy.  Spread frosting on each cinnamon roll, and enjoy!  Serves 24

So many cinnamon rolls...we had to use multiple baking dishes



No comments:

Post a Comment