Monday, September 3, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Bars - 365 Recipe Challange

O.M.G.  These are to die for.  Not exactly low calorie, but they are made with ingredients you can feel good about.  Also, they are so satisfying, you wont eat the whole pan in one sitting- although you will want to.  I created this recipe as part of a 365 recipe challenge I am doing with some friends.  There are 7 of us, and we each post a recipe every week.  My goal is to try new things instead of old favorites.  Peanut butter and chocolate is definitely an old favorite, but this is the first time it remotely feels healthy.



You will need:
2 cups rolled oats (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and pureed
1/2 cup raw (local if you can get it) honey
1/2 cup natural peanut butter.  (I used MaraNatha Organic Creamy Peanut Butter with Sea Salt)
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 chocolate chips (I think I went a little overboard, so use your judgement)

Instructions:
Puree your can of chickpeas, adding only enough water for the blender to get things really smooth.  I think I added about 1/4 cup to mine, but I recommend adding it about a tablespoon at a time.  Combine the chickpeas, peanut butter and honey and half of the oats in a large bowl.  Grind the rest of the oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt into oat flour.  I used my coffee grinder, but I blender works too.  Add the oat flour and vanilla to the bowl and mix well.  Now for the chocolate chips.  I added a cup of chocolate chips to the mix and sprinkled 1/2 a cup on top once the batter was in the pan.  To be honest, 1 1/2 cups is a lot of chocolate, but the batter isn't too sweet so it works.  That being said, these could be less sweet and I would still like them.  Next time I may add 1/2 cup to the batter and 1/2 cup to the top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes until the edges brown.  Allow the bars to cool in the pan before you cut into them.  You wont want to wait, but you will just have to eat them out of the pan with a spoon if you don't give them a chance to rest.  Makes 24.

Nutritional Information per Bar:
Calories: 150
Carbs: 22
Fat: 6
Protein: 5
Sugar: 12
Fiber: 3

**Update: My math was wrong when I originally calculated the nutritional information for these.  The new information is now listed.**

No comments:

Post a Comment