Monday, September 24, 2012

Breakfast Casserole- 365 Recipe Challenge

Whew!  I have been so busy this past weekend, I almost forgot to post a new recipe this week.  As you may know, it is Monday, so that means another recipe for the 365 Recipe Challenge.  Today I am sharing my recipe for breakfast casserole.  I love breakfast casserole...love, love, love it.  I love it so much I forgot to take a picture before we ate it all.

You will need:
6 medium red potatoes (you can sub frozen hash browns)
3 eggs + 1/4 cup milk (or 3/4 cup egg substitute + 1/4 milk)
1 pack ground breakfast sausage (regular or spicy)
1 block cream cheese (I use the 1/3 less fat)
1-2 cups shredded cheese
bread- any kind (I have even used hot dog buns in a pinch)
salt and pepper (or cajun seasoning if you live in our house)
9x12 baking dish
cooking spray

Instructions:
Bake or boil your potatoes until cooked through.  This time, I decided to toss all the potatoes into my microwave and used the handy baked potato button- it worked like a dream.  Alternately, I have made this with store bought hash browns so if you have those, just cook them to the package directions.  Set the potatoes to the side and allow to cool.  Spray your baking dish with cooking spray.  Tear the bread into bite size pieces and cover the bottom of the baking dish.  Brown the sausage on the stove.  Once it is cooked add the package of cream cheese to the sausage.  Stir until the cream cheese melts into the sausage. Sneak a taste- it is amazing. Spread the cream cheese and sausage mixture over the bread.  It doesn't have to be smooth, just attempt to distribute it evenly.  Cut your potatoes into bite size pieces and spread them over the sausage mixture.  Spray lightly with the cooking spray, and then season liberally with the seasoning of your choice.  In a large measuring cup, mix together the eggs and milk.  Pour evenly over the potatoes. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and add the shredded cheese of your choice.  Return to the oven until the cheese is melted.  Serves 12

That's what's for dinner...or breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment