Monday, September 10, 2012

BBQ Chicken Taco Bites- 365 Recipe Challenge

Today I have got another recipe for the 365 Recipe Challenge.  Since I did a dessert last week, I thought I would do a main dish.  I have been in the mood for all things BBQ Chicken so I decided to make bite size tacos.  One of my favorite foods are BBQ nachos, and these are pretty close.  Also, by using scoop size tortilla chips, these are portion controlled! You can follow my recipe for poached chicken or swap in any leftover chicken you have on hand.

Sorry for the crappy picture- I was so hungry!


You Will Need:
1 Poached Chicken Breast (recipe below)
1 small jar diced green chilies
1/4 cup Stubb's BBQ sauce (more or less, depending on how saucy you like your tacos)
1 Bag Tostitos Scoops Corn chips
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Muffin Tin

Instructions:
With 2 forks, shred the poached chicken in a large bowl. Add the green chilies and BBQ sauce and mix well.  Fill each chip with a spoonful of the chicken mixture.  Top with a small amount of shredded cheese.  I like to place each chip in a muffin tin so they don't tip over.  Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is browned and bubbly.  Top with plain yogurt or sour cream.  Makes 48 bite size tacos or 4 servings

My husband loved these so much that I made him a buffalo chicken version the next night.  I left out the green chilies and swapped the BBQ sauce for hot sauce.  Instead of topping them with plain yogurt, we used ranch dressing.

Nutritional Information Each:

Calories: 25
Carbs: 2
Fat: 1
Protein: 1
Sugar: 0
Fiber: 0

Nutritional Information Per Serving:

Calories: 295
Carbs: 24
Fat: 14
Protein: 13
Fiber: 2
Sugar: 2.5

Poached Chicken
I make this chicken whenever I need shredded chicken for a recipe but don't have any leftover chicken. It works great in soups, tacos, enchiladas, etc.  Also, you can set on a back burner of the stove and just ignore it.

You Will Need:
1 pound of chicken
1 red onion (your chicken might take on a grayish hue from the purple onion.  If this bothers you, use a different type of onion)
4 stalks of celery
a few cloves of garlic
Salt and Pepper
Water
A large stock pot

Instructions:
Roughly chop the onion, celery, garlic and chicken into large chunks.  Place the veggies and chicken in large pot of water heavily seasoned with salt and pepper.  Bring the water to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.  Cover with a lid and let if cook for at least 1 hour.  The chicken will no longer be pink in the center and easily shred with 2 forks when it is done.

That's what's for dinner!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment