Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal

I am so behind in the blog, so I hope to get a few recipes uploaded soon.  Partly, I have been super busy with work, wedding planning, and a family illness...but mostly I haven't been cooking a lot.  As part of the pre-wedding slim down, Jeff and I have been doing a lot of meal replacement shakes.  Jeff prefers the Body by Vi shakes, and I do the Body by Vi shakes along and a chocolate Shakeology on days when I work out.  I bring up the shakes, because I have discovered the Body by Vi shakes make and excellent addition to a lot of other foods (great on days when you just can't drink another shake).  I like the shakes, because I feel like I get a balanced meal, and I know exactly how many calories, etc I am getting without having to keep a food diary.  As you may know, many gluten free foods are nutritionally void.  Because of this, I have tried to switch to whole oats instead of other gluten free grains.  Oats are great, but sometimes they need a little something to make them palatable.  This recipe is one of my success stories. Oh, and if you are interested in the shakes, let me know and I can direct in how to order them.

You will need:
1 cup boiling water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup quick cooking oats (I keep these on hand because sometimes I grind them up to make oat flour.  I assume you could use steel cut oats, but follow those cooking instructions carefully since the are different from regular oats )
1 snack size box of raisins
2 scoops Body by Vi shake mix
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
dash of cloves
Splash of milk (optional)

Directions:
Bring the water and salt to a boil in a small pot.  Add the remaining ingredients, except the milk.  Stir frequently while adding the ingredients to prevent clumping.  Once there are no more lumps, allow the oatmeal to thicken, about 5 minutes.  Serve with a splash of milk.  Serves 1.

That's what's for breakfast!
I swear you will not go back to the pre packaged stuff after this.

1 comment: