Sunday, October 21, 2012

Crip- 365 Recipe Challenge

Hey everyone!  Last week for the 365 Recipe Challenge I posted a dip, so this week I am switching gears and posting a main dish.  This week I have the recipe for one of my all time favorite breakfast foods- Crip.  Actually, it is called Creamed Chipped Beef, but when I was a kid I got the name mixed up and called it Cripped Cheamed Beef and it as since been shortened to Crip.  I really hoped to have a picture this week to show you all of it's creamy, beefy goodness- but I can't find the dried beef in my local grocery store.  However my mom can get it where they live and since she is the best at making this, I just had her write down the instructions for me.  I know the name sounds weird, but if you love biscuits and gravy, you will love this.

You Will Need:
1 package of Carl Budding Beef (generic brand is also fine)
2-3 TBLS of butter
2-3 TBLS of flour
1 cup skim milk
1 cup of 2% milk
Biscuit, bread or english muffin per person.

Directions:
Melt the butter in a large skillet.  Chop the meat into small pieces (easily done if the meat is frozen-no need to thaw before cooking). On medium high brown the meat in the butter until is is dark.  Add the flour until all the butter is absorbed.  Once the flour is absorbed into the butter, turn down the heat to simmer and add the milk.  I use both kinds because the 2% helps to thicken the "gravy" a little.  If the gravy gets too thick, add a little more skim milk.  Stir occasionally to prevent the meat from sticking.  This step usually take about 15 minutes. I use this time to get the bread started.  Enjoy it over biscuits, english muffins or toast.  Add pepper to taste.  Serves 2.

Having attempted to make this many times and never having it come out like my mom's, I can offer a few extra tips.
1.  The combination of 2% and skim milk is important.  You can swap out the milk for canned (evaporated) milk, but the measurements are different so there is a lot of trial and error.
2.  It really does take 15 minutes.  Don't try to turn up the heat to cook it faster.
3.  You don't have to use beef, you can also use turkey, but it will come out sweeter.  You don't want to substitute regular lunch meat though.
4.  The Carl Budding Beef is almost always near the lunch meat/hot dogs- and pretty cheap so when you find it, stock up and freeze it.
5.  We use gluten free flour instead of regular flour.  Works great!
6.  Some people like really crispy, rock hard toasted bread that stands up to the gravy. Some people like soft fluffy bread that falls apart once you cover it in the gravy.  English muffins and biscuits are my personal favorite.
7.  Do not add salt.  If you use the dried beef, it should be salty enough.  You can always add salt after it is served.

No comments:

Post a Comment